Monday, March 23, 2009

A Different Perspective...

I just thought I would share an interesting principle that was shared by our high council speaker at church yesterday. His topic was adversity (it seems like that has been the topic quite a bit lately). He shared an experience he had recently with someone that he home teaches. It is a woman who lives every day with chronic pain that is quite debilitating. He mentioned his topic for his upcoming talk to her and she said oh that's easy (meaning living with adversity). He encouraged her to share her insight which was this: "life is meant to be challenging and difficult with occasional periods of ease, not the other way around". Wow. I mean I guess I really knew this deep down but I still want to believe that life should generally be easy with occasional trials and challenges. It is something to think about...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i think i like your idea a little better. .. but life isn't easy. . . but i really think our own attitude makes such a huge difference about how we view and handle different situations.

Julia Kelly said...

i agree with Kristie. I've always thought life to be fairly easy and some difficult trials once and a while. I guess I've been blessed if I think of life this way.

Julia Kelly said...

But, the truth is this:

Life is hard. No doubt about it.

Linda Toolson said...

We have to enjoy the moments of peace when they come. But I admire someone who has constant adversity like this sister, and can still see the good in life. I feel like I have been blessed with big blocks of "good times", mainly because I have been blessed with a wonderful family.

Shannon said...

I have been pondering this ever since I heard his talk Sunday. It is a bit depressing, but makes me even more thankful for the good times than I was before. I guess the key is humility and acceptance. Then, no matter what, we may not be happy, but we will have peace.

p.s. - Happy Anniversary! I had your card on Sunday, but didn't get it to Katie in time. I'll bring it tomorrow. I hope you are out doing something fun tonight! :)

Anonymous said...

That approach to life is a little too pessimistic for me. We definitely have adversity and challenges, but that is too depressing to think that is what it is all about.

I think the good things are supposed to outweigh the bad. Of course this woman's mindset is probable the best for her particular circumstances.