Monday, August 16, 2010

Dear Richardson Family...

Today I got the email I have been waiting for. It was the email with Brian's flight information. I know he is coming home next week but I just wanted to see in black and white, in writing, the details.
Here they are...
Leaves Belem August 24th at 940am, arrives in Sao Paulo at 350pm
Leaves Sao Paulo at 855pm and arrives in Atlanta, Georgia at 550am (Aug. 25th)
Leaves Atlanta at 935am and arrives in Seattle, Wa at 1203pm
Leaves Seattle at 430pm and arrives in Wenatchee at 510pm
5:15 (ish) surrounded by family with lots of smiles, hugs and maybe a few tears ;)

I have to say I am surprised at myself. It has been a very weird time. I can hardly wait for him to be home but every so often, at random times like walking or driving somewhere, always when I'm by myself I get a little emotional and even a little tearful. I don't know why, are they tears of joy, or tears of relief, or tears of sadness as I know that this experience is almost over for him. Am I crazy?
Well anyway, I am super excited, don't get me wrong but it is confusing thinking about the fact that when he left I had so many emotions (happy, sad, anxious, stressed etc) and now he is almost home and I just can't put into words the way I feel. I guess I feel he has been protected and watched over as he served Heavenly Father's children each and every day for 2 years and now he has to come home to the real world. You know, the real world that can kinda stink sometimes!
Along with his flight info I got this message from his mission president. Now I know it is probably some form letter that they write to every departing missionaries family but I am just going to believe that his MP is writing a little note that is specifically for us.
I will share that too and again I couldn't help myself, got a little teary when I read it as well...
it says:
Dear Richardson family,
Elder Richardson is about to complete a very successful mission in the Brazil Belem Mission. He will be leaving the mission on August 24th, 2010. He will be leaving a country and a people with whom he has developed a strong love.
Brian has been instrumental in bringing the gospel to many people while serving here. He has strong testimony of the gospel of JC and a deep conviction of the atonement of the Savior. He was blessed with an outstanding command of the Portuguese Language. He has served in many areas of the mission and has had an impact on the lives of fellow missionaries, members, and investigators. He has served as Senior companion, Trainer, and Zone Leader. He has demonstrated strong leadership qualities throughout the mission and has been an excellent example of the Christ-like attributes necessary to be a leader. We will certainly miss Elder Richardson. he has learned many things here that will help him throughout his life. Thank you for helping to prepare such a wonderful young man to serve this very successful mission.
Sincerely,
Mission president-

6 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

yes, i am teary eyed reading that. i wish i could be there when he steps off that plane!

Anonymous said...

He is coming home a priesthood man that has served with honor - we can't wait to see him! I too have tears and it hasn't been the first time. He has written us some very sweet letters. See you in a few days!

Love,

Dad

Linda Toolson said...

Ditto to the above. I don't believe it is a form letter. I believe Brian is all of those things. He won't be the same person who left us.
We will be up your way on Friday.

Shannon said...

I can only imagine the emotions you are feeling. Twice in the last month we have had the chance to be at the temple for live endowment sessions, and been in the celestial room with families and their sons. It reminded me of going with Brian two years ago. He is such an outstanding example for Paul and Joe. I haven't written as often as I should have, but he has been in our family and personal prayers every day. I am sure he will continue to carry the spirit with him as he heads down to BYU-I, and beyond. Can't wait to give him a hug next week; sending you one right now! :)

Unknown said...

I can't even imagine how you must feel! I soooo
wish we could be there as he gets off the plane. I am excited for all of you.
How are the house projects coming??

Shareen said...

Give in to the emotion. What a big time. Wish I could be there to share with you.