Thursday, July 17, 2008

Scooter + Kyle = WIPE-OUT





Well let's just say Kyle is probably lucky to be alive right about now. At the very least he's lucky to not be in some ICU hooked up to all kinds of monitors and machines. He decided on Tuesday afternoon to take the scooter down to a friends to pick up a basketball. He was going down the hill by our house at 50 MPH(yes 50 but don't tell Bob) with no helmut. I'm not sure exactly what happened then but for some reason he needed to hit the brakes and due to his inexperience in scooter riding he hit the FRONT brakes. The scooter lost control, he slid into some gravel which then caused the scooter to flip and threw him off. After rolling several times he came to a stop. He left quite a bit of skin on the road. Bob and I weren't home at the time. There were several people around who witnessed the accident. A friend gave him a ride up to the house and another friend drove the scooter home (the scooter came out of this accident better than Kyle). At first Kyle thought he could just clean up the various scrapes and bandage them up at home but he quickly realized it was a little more serious. Bob got home about 10-15 minutes later and took him to the emergency room in Brewster (about 7 miles from Pateros). I was getting my hair cut in Chelan. At the time Kyle and Bob were trying to reach me I think the stylist was blow-drying my hair because I didnt hear my phone at all. When I got up to pay I could feel it vibrating and it was then I noticed I had missed 20 calls from Bob. Needless to say I got to Brewster as fast as I could and we spent the next couple hours in the ER while they scrubbed and bandaged him up. We went to the doctor today to follow-up and decide exactly how to treat each wound. Some are just abrasions so a little neosporin will do, some are more serious and need more attention. He started on some antibiotics today as well. He needs pain pills to sleep at night and mom has to wash his hair in the sink. This little accident will be putting a little crimp in the rest of Kyle's summer plans which were to play golf every Friday and play in a 3 on 3 basketball tourney this Saturday with Brian and a few other friends. But these are just insignificant sacrafices compared to what could have happened. Believe me Kyle has had quite a few lectures from doctors, nurses, random people and even the lady at the pharmacy counter (not to mention Bob and I). We are very glad and thankful it wasn't more serious. Hopefully lesson LEARNED.

3 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

oh wow! I'm so glad that Kyle is OK and no serious damage was done. Bummer that his summer plans were ruined, but more relieve that he's not on breathing tubes in the ICU.

Unknown said...

that is scary, becky. and those pictures look nasty! just like you, i am glad it is not any worse. at least he is smiling, right?

Shannon said...

SO glad he is ok. I hope he will be able to sleep more comfortably soon....