Saturday, June 21, 2008

Our Town



The title of my blog is "Life in Pateros". Most of my family has been to Pateros but anyone else that might read my blog would be wondering where the heck is Pateros? Believe me, I wondered the same thing before I moved here. We are located in the center of the state of Washington, about 20 miles north of Lake Chelan. Like I mentioned it has less than a 1.000 people. Our school is a K-12 school with just about 300 students total. Each class has about 15-25 kids. Life in a small town has it's ups and downs. The biggest adjustment for me is for sure the "shopping". I have to drive 60 miles to go to Costco or the mall. When I saw "mall" it's not a big nice mall that most of you are used to, but hey it's better than nothing and it does have a Macy's and a Buckle (they have cool jeans :) ) A few things about a small town: 1. Everyone does know your business and sometimes they know it even before you do! 2. Your kids can't get away with anything, someone always knows and tells. 3. You have the opportunity to be friends with everyone, kids that you might not normally hang-out with and that have different interests than you. 4. If your the center of some sort of drama don't worry because soon enough someone else will take your spot (this is usually a good thing). 5. You get used to driving a lot and for everything: work, sports, shopping, church activities and just about everything you can think of. We have to make the most of wherever we are and learn to appreciate and see the good. I am trying to do this, some days it is easier than others!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

No offense, but I am glad you are "small town"...it is fun being in the same ward again! And having you around to "show me the ropes". :)

Anonymous said...

looking good, becky! so glad that even a "city girl" can find things that are positive about living in a small town. fun to see pics too.

Julia Kelly said...

Driving down a main road, a tractor was taking its sweet little time. In the mean time there was a back up of like 25 cars (i was in the middle of the pack). I just had to laugh to myself. Only in a small town do tractors drive down the main road in town.