Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard"

This is a post with no pictures. Sorry. I don't really like posts with no pictures but I am doing one anyway.
I am re-reading a book (the title of the book is the post title) that mom gave me a few years ago.
I have just read the first chapter and at the very end is a comment by President Hinckley that is a good reminder for me, especially right now.
In fact I changed my blog title because I like it so much. I will say that some days "the very best" I can do doesn't feel like the "very best", and other days I feel like I gave it my best. Sigh.
This is the challenge of my life I think. To not let days when I feel like my "very best" turns out to not really be my "very best" get me down and want to give up. (does that make sense to anyone) Instead I have to get up the next day and try again, and again, and again! I have to accept the fact that some days my "very best" really wasn't my "very best". I think this is OK as long as I don't let that one day, or that one week, become my definition of best.
This all sounds very confusing I think but it's just something I was thinking about and thought I'd share...

5 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

I totally understand what you are saying and struggle with this as well. Being a mother is just plain hard, and I know I feel no matter what I do or how hard I try....I can never be exactly the person I wish I was. (Does THAT make sense??)

BUT, like you said...the most important thing is that we keep TRYING.

Lots of love to you!!

Linda Toolson said...

Good things to think about. I don't suppose there any too many women out there who feel they are always at their best. I feel lucky to be at my best every now and again. At the end of the day I often wonder what the Savior thinks of my efforts.

Shannon said...

I try to focus on the "loaves and fishes" principle - even if all I have to give is a very little bit, if I give it whole-heartedly, the Savior will make up the difference and help it to be enough.

(But some days I still just want to run away.)

Can I borrow that book when you are done with it?

Shareen said...

I've hesitated about leaving this comment, because it really is probably not wise to be disagreeing with a prophet, but doesn't holding yourself to the standard of doing your "very best" every minute of every day seem like a recipe for depression? It seems like you could never enjoy the good moments, because there would always in the back of your mind be thoughts of something even better that you could be doing.

Unknown said...

I think that every day is a different level of "our best" and I think Heavenly Father understands that. We just strive to do our best. Some days are much harder than others.